Schembs Law
Your Case Could Go To Trial. Shouldn't You Have A Trial Lawyer?
Call 317-643-6266 Today

How do I maintain a relationship with my grandkids after divorce?

If your child goes through a divorce, you may end up in a delicate situation regarding contact with your grandchildren, especially if he or she is the noncustodial parent. Even if the court grants you visitation rights, you may experience anger or resentment toward your child's former spouse. If you allow those feelings to manifest themselves in your speech or attitudes around your grandkids, they could damage your relationship and cause further pain.

According to, one effective way to protect your relationship with your grandchildren is to maintain a cordial relationship with your child's former spouse. If you show respect toward both of your grandchildren's parents, the kids will probably feel more secure around you, and less like they are choosing sides. If possible, make an effort to make positive remarks about your former son- or daugher-in-law. Your grandchildren still love both of their parents, and they benefit from adult influences who are not continually criticizing their mom or dad. On the other hand, expressing constant negativity toward one parent may cause your grandchildren to withdraw from you.

When your grandchildren are with you, do not center your conversation around the divorce. Rather, allow your time together to be a reprieve from the emotional stress they may be experiencing. If they do feel the need to talk about their struggles with the divorce, you can offer a listening ear, but it may not be beneficial for you to initiate those conversations. Attempt to give your visits the same atmosphere they had before the divorce took place. This stability may be a source of comfort during the difficult changes your grandchildren are experiencing. This information is provided for educational purposes only, and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  • My husband and I have a 12 year old grandson whose academics and social needs were being neglected. We turned to Schembs Law & Associates to help preserve our grandsons rights. With Schembs & Associates leadership and guidanceā€¦ Grandparent Rights
| Email Us For A Response

One Step At A Time

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Robert Schembs
22 E. Washington Street
Suite 610
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Phone: 317-643-6266
Fax: 317-536-0651
Map & Directions