Schembs Law
Your Case Could Go To Trial.
Shouldn’t You Have A Trial Lawyer?

Call 317-643-6266 Today

How can I help my child when I move out?

On Behalf of | Sep 22, 2019 | Custody & Visitation

If you are a parent in Indiana who has agreed with your spouse that you will get a separation or a divorce, the well-being of your children is likely at the top of your list of concerns. Many couples keep one parent and the kids in the family home at least to start with. This means the other parent has to move out of the home. You may have agreed to be the parent who leaves the house. This will be hard for you and for your kids but there are some things you can do to help them through this process.

As explained by Parents magazine, giving your children appropriate notice about the upcoming move will help them avoid the unexpected shock associated with coming home one day, expecting to see you but finding out you are gone. The amount of time you give them should be appropriate to their age, with younger children being told closer to the move date than older children.

Make sure you have a solid plan in place for when your kids will be with you once you move. This gives them something concrete to focus on and look forward to. You should even take them to your new home so they can see where you will live and where they will be when they are with you.

This information is not intended to provide legal advice but is instead meant to give parents in Indiana some tips on how they may address the emotional needs of the kids when the parent needs to move out of the home due to a marital separation or divorce.

FindLaw Network