Schembs Law
Your Case Could Go To Trial.
Shouldn’t You Have A Trial Lawyer?

Call 317-643-6266 Today

Can failing to pay child support keep me from getting a passport?

by | Mar 4, 2017 | Fathers' Rights

As a father, you may have all sorts of concerns after a divorce. For example, you may be worried about your ability to pay alimony or spend time with your child. However, child support can be particularly troubling, especially if you are going through financial hardships. If you live in Indianopolis, or another part of Indiana, failing to make your child support payments on time could affect you in many different ways. Moreover, some men are told to pay child support for a child which is not theirs. If you are worried about being required to pay child support for a child that is not biologically yours, you should explore all options, such as DNA testing.

According to the Department of State, unpaid child support will prevent you from obtaining a U.S. passport, if the amount of back child support you owe is greater than $2,500. If you wish to apply for a passport and have fallen behind on your child support payments, you will need to make acceptable payment arrangements in order to have your name cleared. Having said that, it is essential to keep in mind that it could take a few weeks until your name is removed and your passport application can be processed appropriately.

Whether you are being asked to pay child support for a non-biological child or you wish to modify your child support order, it is pivotal to understand your rights. Please remember that this post is not an alternative to legal counsel and was written for general informational purposes.

FindLaw Network