Schembs Law
Your Case Could Go To Trial. Shouldn't You Have A Trial Lawyer?
Call 317-643-6266 Today

Fathers paying child support may be able to obtain a modification

Are you a father? Are you required to pay child support every month? Have you come to find that you are unable to afford your current payment? This can be a difficult situation to deal with.

On one side of things, you want to make your child support payments in full as you know that this helps your child live a better life. On the other side, you realize that a change in circumstances is making this impossible.

If you find yourself in this position, the best thing you can do is learn more about a child support modification. Obtaining a modification is not a given, but there are steps you can take to improve your chance of this happening. Consider doing the following:

  • Take immediate action. Since you are unable to make your child support payments in full, you want to act fast. The longer you wait the worse your situation will become.
  • Learn more. What are the child support laws in your state? How do these impact how much you pay in child support and the process of obtaining a modification?
  • Ask the other parent for assistance. If the other parent is willing to learn more about your situation, he or she may agree to a child support modification for the time being. This can save you a lot of time dealing with the court.
  • Keep up with your payments. It may be difficult for the time being, but you should do your best to keep up with your child support payments as required by the court.
  • Document why you are unable to make your full payment. From a job loss to a medical issue, you need to back up your claim that you are unable to keep up with your child support payments.

These are the types of steps a father can take if he finds that he is no longer able to make child support payments in full. Requesting a modification doesn't guarantee a lower payment in the future, but it's definitely the first step in the right direction.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Client Testimonials

  • My husband and I have a 12 year old grandson whose academics and social needs were being neglected. We turned to Schembs Law & Associates to help preserve our grandsons rights. With Schembs & Associates leadership and guidanceā€¦ Grandparent Rights
| Email Us For A Response

One Step At A Time

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Robert Schembs
22 E. Washington Street
Suite 610
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Phone: 317-643-6266
Fax: 317-536-0651
Map & Directions